16 August 2010
DIY: Handmade Ideabook/Notebook
- utility knife
- self healing mat
- hole punch
- 4 1/4" x 5" cork
- various 4 1/4" x 5" pages cut from a calendar, and collection of scrap papers
- spiral spine and hard cover from old notebook
- 20 or so pages of white sketch book paper
- scrap cardboard the same size as your notebook
1. cut all pages to size with a paper cutter or utility knife, self healing mat, and ruler, or scissors, its up to you.
2. cut hard back cover and front cork cover the same size.
3. using the scrap cardboard as a template, I measured where I wanted my holes for the spiral spine to be, cut them out of the template (I used a utility knife to make square holes, but you could use the hole punch and save loads of time) then use the template to mark where the holes go on the inner sheets and punch away. I'd stack 4 or 5 sheets to cut at a time, depending on the thickness of your paper.
4. mark the cork and the hard back cover holes with the template, the cork and hard back cover are likely too thick for the hole punch so you could do square holes, like me, or use the punch to make a partial cut and then cut the rest with the utility knife, again up to you.
5. arrange your covers and inner papers in the order you like and bind them using the spiral spine. Bend open the spine enough for the pages to fit and start with the back cover and add pages to the spine until your book is done. You could also use metal rings clips, or string or ribbon to bind the book, be creative!
Its so silly, I love making notebooks, but then I feel bad for using them because they looked used, don't ask!?! They are also great to have for keeping track of things, making lists, etc
How do YOU keep track of your ideas?