- a vessel to use as a mold
- newspaper strips
- brown paper strips
- 1 part water + 1 part flour for your paper mache glue (and a container for the glue, you can't just mix it on the table, what are we cavemen?)
- cling wrap
- hot glue & gun
What to do:
- line your vessel with cling wrap and a few layers of newspaper. Allow each layer to dry completely before applying the next. I did about 7 layers all together for stability.
- Once it was thoroughly dry and the cat left, I took the paper mache bowl out of the mold and removed the cling wrap.
- Next I did 2 layers of paper mache with the brown paper strips. This layer will be seen between the spaces of the corks. Once those layers are dry, trim the edges.
- I also glued in some cardboard strips for more stability for hanging later.
- Once the base was ready, I flipped it over and started hot gluing corks to the outside. I began in the middle and worked my way out to make the arrangement look a bit random but evenly spaced.
I bet right here you were expecting a fantastic picture of the finished product artfully displayed somewhere in my house. Me too. There I was, gluing my heart out, only inches from the bottom when I grabbed the last cork. Needless to say I'm not impressed, apparently I'm not an accurate guesstimater, so to all my family and friends, get drinking so I can finish!
Are you starting to notice my pattern of getting excited to do something, getting right into it, then realizing I have no idea what I'm doing or don't have enough supplies? For example here when I took apart my sewing machine to replace a belt, ordered the wrong belt, and eventually lost a piece to put the sewing machine together. Or here when I stopped paying attention to my knitting and ended up with a giant pouf.
So, I need YOUR help. Now that the piece is almost completely covered in corks, it is heavier than I expected and kind of loses it's shape if you try to hang it. My question to you is, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WHAT MATERIALS OR METHODS WOULD YOU SUGGEST I TRY FOR HANGING THIS CORK ART?
OR Do you have similar tendencies, forgetting to check supplies before taking on a project or starting a project you know nothing about? OR have you been working with cork lately, drinking or otherwise?